Buckland with Laverton Village Hall, and Parish Council
It is well known that the name Buckland is derived from the Old English 'Bocland' or 'Bokeland', meaning land held under a written title granted by royal book or charter, often with a freedom from some of the customary services. The latter would seem to apply to Buckland, for in 1371 King Edward III issued a writ to the farmer of the Hundred of Kyftesgate, not to distrain on Buckland, a manor of the Abbot of Gloucester, as he held it "without any service or suit to the King or to any other."
The name of Laverton is more problematical. According to the 'Place Names of Gloucester' its name was spelt 'Lawertune' (circa 1160), and may mean "farmstead frequented by larks". This would fit quite well as larks still sang blithely on the hills above the present village not so many years ago. However the Eckwell edition of the 'Concise Oxford Dictionary of Place Names', which gives the same derivation to Laverton, Somerset, goes on to say "but the first element may be O.E. laefer, rush or iris, or a river name identical with Laver, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, which means 'babbling brook'". Is it just coincidence that the little brook that rises above the village and, until it was piped, ran through it, is in fact the head waters of the 'Rushbrook' that flows out across the vale and gave the name to various of the furlongs in the open field of Laverton?
(Buckland With Laverton an Ancient Manor by Elin Dallas & Bridget Fletcher)